18.3 C
New York
Friday, April 4, 2025

Federal Government Reopens Independence Bridge Following Traffic Chaos in Lagos

Must read

LAGOS, Nigeria — The Federal Government has announced the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way–Marina bound) to vehicular traffic, following a day of severe congestion and commuter frustration across Lagos.

The announcement, made Wednesday, April 2, 2025 by Minister of Works Dave Umahi via a statement issued by the Federal Controller of Works in Lagos, Olukorede Kesha, comes just 24 hours after the bridge was closed for planned maintenance and rehabilitation works.

Originally, the closure was expected to last until the end of May 2025.

Umahi stated that “necessary palliative works are now being carried out” to make the bridge motorable in the interim, while full-scale repairs have been deferred to a later, unspecified date.

“We regret the inconvenience caused to the motoring public,” Umahi said, urging continued understanding and cooperation from commuters and stakeholders affected by the disruption.

Severe Gridlock Paralyzes Commercial Hub

The initial closure on Tuesday plunged parts of Lagos into gridlock, with major choke points reported across Victoria Island, Ikoyi, Falomo, and Marina.

The situation was exacerbated by a heavy downpour in the early hours of Wednesday, leading to hours-long delays for thousands of commuters.

The Independence Bridge is a key connector between Victoria Island and Marina via Eko Bridge — both major corridors in the city’s commercial and administrative zones.

Many commuters found themselves stranded in traffic for up to six hours. One passenger, Jolade, recounted leaving her home in Epe at 6 a.m. but arriving at her workplace only by 1 p.m.

“I was drenched from the rain and exhausted before even starting work,” she said.

Another commuter, Anita, was trapped for over three hours at Falomo Bridge and had to queue again for onward transportation to Obalende.

Transport fares surged by more than 100 percent as ride-hailing services and commercial buses struggled to meet demand. Drivers lamented their inability to complete regular daily trips, citing financial losses from wasted hours in standstill traffic.

“I usually complete four trips by noon, but I was still stuck in my second trip by 2 p.m. today,” said Rasaq, a commercial driver navigating the Marina route.

Government Urges Alternative Route Planning

The Ministry of Works had earlier warned of the planned closure and advised motorists to seek alternative routes.

Despite these advisories, the impact was immediate and widespread, triggering anger among commuters and concerns about infrastructure planning in the megacity.

Controller Kesha reiterated that the bridge remains a priority for structural maintenance and that efforts are ongoing to ensure safety while minimising disruption.

Officials are encouraging motorists to continue exploring alternative routes where possible and to stay tuned for further updates on the schedule for permanent repairs.

As normal traffic begins to resume on the reopened bridge, questions remain over the government’s readiness to manage infrastructure upgrades in one of the world’s most densely populated cities without crippling everyday movement.

More articles

- Advertisement -The Fast Track to Earning Income as a Publisher
- Advertisement -The Fast Track to Earning Income as a Publisher
- Advertisement -Top 20 Blogs Lifestyle

Latest article