ABUJA, Nigeria – The media office of former Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello has alleged that operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, made a fresh attempt to arrest the former governor on Wednesday, September 18, 2024, at night.
The incident reportedly occurred at the Kogi Government Lodge in Asokoro, Abuja.
Ohiare Michael, Director of the Yahaya Bello Media Office, issued a statement accusing the EFCC of laying siege to the government lodge and attempting to forcibly arrest Bello, despite his voluntary visit to the commission’s office earlier in the day.
“It has come to our notice that people suspected to be operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission are currently around the Kogi Government Lodge, Asokoro, in an attempt to arrest former Governor Yahaya Bello forcefully.

They were shooting sporadically,” Michael said in the statement.
According to the media office, Bello voluntarily presented himself at the EFCC office earlier on Wednesday but was told to leave and return later.
However, the surprise siege at the government lodge later in the evening raised concerns about the EFCC’s intentions.
“We want to place it on record that the EFCC should be held accountable if anything untoward happens to him,” Michael stated, adding that the attempted arrest was “needless” and part of a politically motivated agenda.

Tensions Rise
Michael further condemned the EFCC’s actions, arguing that they reflected political motives rather than a genuine fight against corruption.
He stressed that the former governor had cooperated fully with the EFCC and that the sudden attempt to arrest him later in the day was unwarranted.
“This action is condemnable. They have displayed the very reason many Nigerians believe they are fighting political battles instead of fulfilling their mandate to fight corruption,” Michael added.
As of now, the EFCC has not issued an official statement regarding the allegations or the reasons behind the fresh attempt to arrest Bello.